Thursday, January 29, 2009

My Cancer Update

For the last month I have been in "prep" mode for my cancer testing. No medication, and a low iodine diet are part of that "prep". I had my tests this week and yesterday we got the news that it is not gone. This is NOT a surprise, we were told to expect it. It is rare for thyroid cancer that has spread to the lymph nodes to be eradicated the first year. Since treatments are only done once a year, tests are also done just once a year. When I had my blood work done in August it was testing positive for thyroglobulin, there should have been none, I didn't know that. I figured it was due in part to my thyroid medication. I still have a lot to learn. I guess last week my thyroglobulin levels were actually in the "normal" range. That shocked me because not only do I not have a thyroid, I haven't had any thyroid medication for 3 weeks.

On the positive side, there is less cancer than last year. I no longer have any showing up in lymph tissue in my chest. The doctors are pleased about that. What shows up in my neck is not significantly different but apparently that is not a big deal, just a bit disappointing.

To make a long story short, I am back in isolation and have been given a full treatment dose of Radioactive Iodine. For all you scientists out there the dose is 143.o2 mcu. I am at home in isolation. With a little convincing the doctors have allowed me to lock myself in our basement. My sister Steffani is here and our ward is fabulous about checking on us and bringing in meals.

Thank you everyone for your prayers. If you have questions I would prefer you email them or ask them in the comments section of my blog. I don't really like having to answer the same questions over the phone, I am exhausted and talking on the phone is draining. If you want to call, great just tell me something funny or great about your day. Thanks. I am really looking forward to a hamburger next week! Anyone want to join me!?!

13 comments:

mom2ky said...

Aliess, you are in my prayers! You are a strong woman and I know the Lord will bless you! (Hugs)

Kim said...

Aliess, I am so sorry to hear that you have to go through this again. If only you could go into isolation and feel great with lots of energy. Then it might be a welcomed relief! Hang in there. You are in our prayers.

Reynolds Family said...

I was actually going to call you this morning, but figured you were probably sick of me calling and I know how exhausted you are. I'm sorry it's not the news you had hoped for, but it sounds like the docs are hopeful. Hopefully this time will do the trick! Get some good rest and I'll talk to you later.

Tamra said...

Hang in there, Aliess! We're praying for you and thinking of you. I'm glad your ward and family are so supportive. What a blessing.

Amelia Hohl said...

I'm so impressed that you're keeping such a positive attitude. You are such an inspiration to everyone! I'll definitely tell you some stories that will make you laugh, like when Henry pooped in his underwear while I was on the phone with my friend, Bea started screaming and my neighbor rang the doorbell just in time to hear me freaking out. Nice!

Kirsten * Sean * Matthew said...

We love ya lots Aliess. We don't have any firm plans yet, but our winter break is fast approaching. I think it would be fun if we could come down. Pray for nice weather. Take care of yourself. I'm glad the doctors let you stay at home. There's truly no place like it, even if you're in isolation. Take care you are in our prayers.

Eric and Tracey said...

I hope you get feeling better soon!!! Sorry we don't live closer to be able to help you out!

The Keister Family said...

Aliess, if you make it a Primanti's sandwich instead of the hamburger, we'll be there in a jiffy! Seriously, we are praying for you. This has to be draining on you and your family. We love you and are glad the 4th Ward is taking care of you!

Make sure they set you up with a TV on Sunday!! GO STILLERS!! Hugs.

[alisar] said...

If you need a friend to hack into some red meat with you, I'm your girl. I hope you hang in there down in the basement. Are you your own nightlight???

heather said...

Well that is a crappy way to start the new year. I haven't heard from you in awhile and I was just hoping it was because things were just so fabulous and you were busy having tons of fun and excitement. I am so sorry you have to go through more of this. We love you and you and your family are in our prayers. I hope you have a very nice basement.

Jaimee said...

Aliess, sending all our love! I am glad your sis is there. I will have to bring you guys something yummy when we get back in town...hopefully with a big win!!

Jennett said...

You are always in our prayers and we aren't too far away...so if you ever need extra help give me call and a plan and you can put me to work! We sure miss you guys.

Janene Kingsley said...

I would totally join you...and bring hormone free chicken and that awesome salad dressing you made. It was so good. I'm sorry you are going through this right now. I miss ya and I have total faith that you are going to heal. My prayers are with ya sista!